Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Cost of Discipleship? Being Uncomfortable!

Revelation 3:15-17 says, "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked..."

What does the cost of discipleship have to do with being a lukewarm Christian? As I was meditating on the word "lukewarm", it made me think of the many times I had to get bath water ready for my babies. If it was too cold, that would make them uncomfortable and if it was too hot - not only would they be uncomfortable but they would also get hurt. As mothers, we want that water to be lukewarm - just comfortable for them.

One of the signs of biblical prophecy is the "lukewarmness" of Christians in our churches. My definition of a "lukewarm Christian" is someone who wants to live a comfortable life - staying within their comfort zone. Maybe it's staying within the four walls of your church or staying within the circle of your Christian friends. However, "the cost of discipleship" is choosing to obey God's call on our lives by living an "uncomfortable life". How do we do that? By getting out of our comfort zones - getting out of our "boxes".

Think of the disciples in the Bible who literally turned the world upside-down with the Gospel! They were not lukewarm Christians. They all operated outside of their comfort zones! Being uncomfortable means that we are going to make the choice to not be comfortable or lukewarm when it comes to walking in obedience to the Word of God. We may even "get burned" for our obedience and for sharing the Gospel with others. In fact, aren't we called to offer our bodies as "living sacrifices"? (Romans 12:1) That doesn't sound like a lukewarm life to me!

So, does the thought of singing Gospel songs on the street corners make you uncomfortable? Does visiting someone in prison make you uncomfortable? Does passing Gospel tracts out to unbelievers or talking with them about the Lord make you uncomfortable? Does it make you nervous to think about inviting a stranger into your home to have a place to eat and sleep? Does it make you nervous to speak to a homeless man on the street or to buy him a meal? Knowing I am responsible for making my God and King nauseated to the point of vomiting when I choose to remain in my comfort zone (remaining lukewarm) - that thought alone is enough for me to make myself uncomfortable for the sake of the Gospel and for the Kingdom of my Lord and King. So, what is the cost of discipleship to you?

1 comment:

j a n said...

Hey Chris, good job! I wanted to say that you have a really great writing style - it's easy to read and understandable, even when you're making some big points. Hope you're still enjoying it! :-)