Wednesday, September 1, 2010

When God's People Forget They Stand Before God

When God's people do away with God's Law, they also do away with the thought of "standing before God". In fact, it seems the only time we hear teaching on "standing before God" is when we are being taught about the Judgment Seat of Christ. (2 Cor. 5:10) Although it is true that we will all stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ in the end times, we also need to realize we are "standing before God" every day we live!

In 1 Kings 17:1, the prophet Elijah said to King Ahab - "As the Lord God of Israel lives, before Whom I stand, there will not be dew nor rain those years, except at my word." Elijah said it again to King Ahab's servant - "As the Lord of hosts lives, before Whom I stand, I will surely present myself to him today." (I Kings 18:15) Elijah's successor, Elisha, also recognized this fact when he declared to the king of Israel, "As the Lord of hosts lives, before whom I stand, ...." (2 Kings 3:14)

In all of these instances, it was acknowledged that 1) God is alive, and 2) We are always standing before Him. At one point, though, Elijah forgot this fact in 1 Kings 19:1-10. When he forgot this fact, he experienced fear, depression and self-pity. In fact, he told the Lord - "I alone am left (of God's prophets); and they seek to take my life." In the following verse (19:11), God said to Elijah, "Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord." God had to remind Elijah that he was still "standing before Him".

Someday, we will stand before the Judgment seat of Christ. However, that doesn't give us the right today to live for ourselves and to set aside God's laws. As Christians, each day that we wake up - we need to acknowledge that we serve a living God and that we are "standing before Him". As Colossians 3:17 states, "And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

"As the Lord my God lives - before Whom I stand." Will you allow this thought to change your thoughts, the way you talk, the way you eat, your desire to witness, the way you dress, what you read, the shows you watch, what you spend your money on, the employment you choose, the friends you have, the language you use, etc. As David said in Psalm 139:7, "Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?" It's time for Christians today to start living like they are standing in their King's presence and obeying the commands their King has given them - because He is coming back
very soon!

No comments: